Had been craving for Rich Nawabi Cuisine for the last few days, but was avoiding it thinking about the butter and cream used in the gravy to make it rich. Simultaniously, my mind was working hard to find a way to solve this dilemma. Finally, inspired by the OIL FREE Event going on a food group in Facebook, I decided to give try to the oil free version of nawabi dish – Nawabi Guchhi. I cooked and it came out better than expected. Totally oil free!!! The best part is the richness of the gravy was still intact and was full of flavours.
Serving – 4
1 1/2 cups Mushrooms – cut into halves
1/2 cup frozen Peas
2 tbsp Coriander leaves – chopped
1/2 tsp Garam masala
1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
Salt to taste
For the Nawabi paste
2 medium sized Onion – chopped
1 inch Ginger piece- minced
1/4 cup Cashew nut paste
1/2 tsp Black cumin( shahi zeera)
1/2 tsp Cumin
1 Green chilli
1. Heat some water in a pan and boil onions and ginger in it for about 10 min. drain the water.
2. Combine and make a fine paste of all the ingredients in a grinder.
3. Heat a pan and to it add the grinder nawabi paste. Fry it until it turns to a rich golden colour, sprinkle a little water now and then to prevent burning.
4. Add garam masala and chilli powder. Stir for few seconds.
5. Add 1/2 cup water and let it come to a boil. Add mushroom and peas. Stir for 4-5 min on a low flame
6. Add 1 cup water and 1 tbsp coriander leaves. Cook covered on low flame, till the mushrooms are done.
7. Remove from fire when the mushrooms are done and gravy is slightly thick.
8. Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot with naan, parantha or rice.